The Joy of Sake — A Benefit for Brewery Families
326 great sakes 13 terrific restaurants 1 good cause
The Joy of Sake is New York’s annual sake celebration, featuring over 300 premium sakes in every style from every region of Japan and appetizers from some of the City’s top chefs.
This year, thirty percent of all proceeds go to brewery families in Tohoku who lost their homes in the great tsunami that struck northeastern Japan on March 11 (more info).
Don’t miss this once-a-year chance to taste the world’s finest sakes in peak condition. Participating restaurants include 15 East, Bond Street, Kyo Ya, Momofuku Ssäm Bar, wd~50, Sakagura, Ma Peche, SushiSamba, Bozu, oms/B, Aburiya Kinnosuke, Hibino and En Japanese Brasserie.
The Altman Building
Friday, October 21, 2011 6:00 – 9:00PM
$90 ($100 at the door)
Sake Hotline: (888) 799-7242
Don’t miss out!
You can purchase tickets online using Visa, MasterCard or American Express. For phone orders, please call our sake hotline number at
The Joy of Sake – New York
Oct 21, 2011
The Altman Building
131 West 18th Street ………………………………………………………$90
Sunday October 9th 2011
We are very excited to announce that special guest KURABITO, sake brewers are coming to 1 or 8 on Sunday, October 9th 2011. Join us in welcoming Mr. Shinobu Takebayashi from Nanbu Bijin and Mr. Naoki Yokoyama from Tengumai!
Shinobu from Nanbu Bijin is a super cute and young “so-Iwate” brewer! Also, Yokoyama-san from Tengumai is very cool macho man! Support their first NY visit! They need our support!
Nanbu Bijin (Southern Beauty) established 1915 in Iwate prefecture
Tengumai (Dancing Goblin) established 1823 in Ishikawa prefecture
The message from 1 or 8
We are going to have a sake pairing dinner option on Sunday October 9th.
We will have the pleasure of having the presence of the representatives from two sake breweries, Mr. Shinobu Takebayashi from Nanbu Bijin and Mr. Naoki Yokoyama from Tengumai, along with Chizuko Niikawa of Sake Discoveries, Sake sommelier
* This pairing dinner is going to be available only with a reservation
(please specify “pairing dinner”) along with a pre-payment information.
* The dinner including the sake is $90 per person (tax and gratuity not included).
* Please make your reservation by Wednesday October 5th.
* There is no specific time for this pairing dinner. We will serve each tables at their reserved time (Sundays, we open at 6pm and the kitchen closes at 11pm).
* In case of cancellation, we are not able to give any refund for the reservation of this particular dinner. However, if something comes up and you cannot come in, you could always have a friend coming in instead.
Special Nanbu Bijin & Tengumai sake paring menu
* Amuse Bouche
– pairing with Nanbu Bijin – Sugar free sparkling plum sake
* 1st course
Katsuo Tataki Salad: Seared bonito, kaiware, red onion, celery served with yogurt miso dressing
– pairing with Tengumai – Yamahai Junmai (chilled)
* 2nd course
Dashi Maki Tamago: Cooked egg with seasonal mushroom& bonito broth
– pairing with Nanbu Bijin – Tokubetsu Junmai
* 3rd course
Grilled Eel (Shira Yaki): served with tomato / miso sauce
– pairing with Nanbu Bijin – Daiginjo
* 4th course
Nigiri sushi (3pcs): assorted seasonal fish
– pairing with Tengumai – 3 years aged Junmai Daiginjo Alexander Gelman design black label
Duck Soba Noodle: Roasted duck, sauteed foie gras, buckwheat noodle,
served with bonito broth
– pairing with Tengumai – Yamahai Junmai (warmed)
Zenzai: Sake ice cream with red bean soup
– pairing with Nanbu Bijin All Koji
$90 not including tax and tips
If interested in this pairing dinner, please email us back or call us for a reservation.
Have a great weekend, and hope to see you soon!
1 OR 8
66 South 2nd street bet Wythe and Kent TEL: 718-384-2152
Thank you for waiting Shochu lovers!
One of the BEST of the BEST Shochu makers Satsuma Shuzo is going to hold special shochu event at Decibel on Tuesday, October 4th. Decibel offers 3 kinds of barley shochu and 2 kinds of sweet potato shochu from Satsuma Shuzo with 6 ways!
Satsuma Shuzo original cool fan will be gifted to first 30 people who order Satsuma Shuzo shochu! Don’t miss out!!!!
Sake Bar Decibel: 240 East 9th Street New York, NY 10003-7530 (212) 979-2733